kolonya, mga kolono, lupang sakop, isang pulutong ng mga ibon, isang kawan ng mga ibon, isang kuyog ng mga laywan, isang kuyog ng mga bubuyog, isang kawan ng mga hayop
Noun(1) a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government(2) a group of organisms of the same type living or growing together(3) one of the 13 British colonies that formed the original states of the United States(4) a place where a group of people with the same interest or occupation are concentrated(5) a geographical area politically controlled by a distant country(6) (microbiology
(1) To all intents and purposes, Britain has assumed de facto control of the government of its former colony .(2) One of his biggest successes has been helping to establish a new colony of flamingoes at Auckland Zoo.(3) the colony looked forward to fifty or more years of autonomy(4) a nudist colony(5) a colony of seals(6) the British colony in New York(7) The pace of political reform in the colony was sharply accelerated following a wave of disturbances precipitated by a rally of ex-soldiers in Accra in February 1948.(8) Spanish, English, and French troops were soon battling one another for control of the colony .(9) As time passes, more trees grow in the areas cleared by the ants, and the ant colony expands to occupy them.(10) The queen bee eats the workers' eggs to retain her control over the colony .(11) More specifically, there is a whole colony of mice living under the floorboards in my bedroom.(12) Japanese forces overran the French colony of Indo-China(13) Our models cover the process of forming a colony from a single cell.(14) There was an important Italian colony in London, mostly of Florentines and Lucchese, dealing in silk and silk fabrics.(15) After Portugal abandoned East Timor in 1975, Indonesia invaded and occupied the colony until rejected by the East Timorese voters in 1999.(16) As the colony settled down and developed, Clendinnen says, newer generations on both sides may have supposed Aboriginal life was always as it became in the early nineteenth century.
(1) leper colony :: ketongin kolonya
(2) penal colony :: penal colony
(3) the colony :: ang kolonya
(4) nudist colony :: nudist colony
1. settlement ::
2. community ::
3. dependency ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Hawaii is a former leper COLONY
on top of an active volcano
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 16
English to Filipino Dictionary: colony
Meaning and definitions of colony, translation in Filipino language for colony with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of colony in Filipino and in English language.
Tags for the entry "colony"
What colony means in Filipino, colony meaning in Filipino, colony definition, examples and pronunciation of colony in Filipino language.