Noun(1) an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant(2) the naval officer in command of a military ship(3) a policeman in charge of a precinct(4) an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship(5) the leader of a group of people(6) the pilot in charge of an airship(7) a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
Verb(1) be the captain of a sports team
(1) Each ward has an area captain in charge, with stewards appointed for each polling station in that area.(2) The team captain leveled a thinly veiled criticism at the club president just last week.(3) The aircraft's captain said that two aircraft had just flown into the World Trade Center.(4) In high school, he was an excellent student and athlete, named as captain of the football team as well as editor of the school's newspaper.(5) He also mentioned that the captain of that aircraft has been flying for more than 10 years, but 10 years with Southwest.(6) The captain of one ship sends a message to a sailor on deck.(7) Their 65-year-old mother, Hadima, was killed in the bombing, as was their brother Khalid, who was an Iraqi police captain .(8) You would be hard pressed to find a young captain or major who hadn't flown combat sorties in the area of operations.(9) ├ö├ç├┐They rose above the fracas that Iowans got pretty sick of,├ö├ç├û said one Iowa City precinct captain .(10) Shortly after that my father received a phone call from Ken Lynch, a captain at the local police department.(11) Three to five platoons form a company, which is commanded by a captain with a first sergeant as the commander's principal NCO assistant.(12) An aircraft captain has been criticised after failing to properly report an incident which affected a Stansted-bound flight last year.(13) Through repeated rehearsals, a captain can adjust his defensive strategy and intercept virtual attackers before they reach their targets.(14) he did very well academically, becoming school captain(15) Initially the Navy had only two ranks, lieutenant and captain ; flag ranks were not established until the Civil War.(16) And this season Smith, voted a team captain , has become a leader.
(1) sea captain :: dagat kapitan
(2) ship captain :: ship kapitan
(3) staff captain :: kawani kapitan
(4) captain of industry :: kapitan ng industriya
1. commander ::
2. leader ::
3. magnate ::
4. skipper ::
5. chieftain ::
6. police captain ::
7. master ::
8. headwaiter ::
9. command ::
captain, captaincies, captaincy, captained, captaining, captains
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
The CAPTAIN of that ship,
what was he, Braavosi?
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 4
...but all they want is,
"Course laid in, CAPTAIN."
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 4
If the CAPTAIN dies,
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 8
And you're not a smuggler anymore,
you're the high CAPTAIN.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 9
Captain Kirk won.
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 7
English to Filipino Dictionary: captain
Meaning and definitions of captain, translation in Filipino language for captain with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of captain in Filipino and in English language.
Tags for the entry "captain"
What captain means in Filipino, captain meaning in Filipino, captain definition, examples and pronunciation of captain in Filipino language.